Gardyloo! Or, how to gracefully (mostly) handle the adventures (crap) of life!
gar•dy•loo (gär′dē loo) interjection This word is historical to Edinburgh, used as a warning to people below that slops were about to be thrown from a window into the street. Origin: French, garde à l'eau, beware of the water
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
When I found out that I had to write a blog for my technology course, my first thought was, “What in the world possessed me to take a technology course as I chase my quest for a doctorate?” My next thought was “gardyloo” ~ my word reminding me to duck, figuratively of course. Actually, gardyloo is a staple in my private vocabulary that reminds me not only to duck, but to keep a sense of humor as I deal with life’s little surprises. Garrdyloo is a word for all occasions.
The problem is that normally when I think gardyloo…. I look up instead of ducking…oops! So, I either step in it or get covered in it! To make matters worse, I have been firmly in the anti-technology camp for years! To say that I have had a love-hate relationship with technology is an understatement. But, since technology seems to be here to stay, I guess I will continue to embrace my new relationship with the 21st century. In this case, I will become a 21st Century blogger.
As I considered all of the possible blog topics, I thought what could be better than exploring the little inconveniences and adventures of life. I am convinced if we all had a word which allowed us to deal with stress and frustration with humor, then perhaps we would all lead a life filled with rainbows and waterfalls. Alright, maybe it would not be all sunshine and roses, but, maybe it would be better. I propose that word is Gardyloo! How can anyone be stressed or frustrated while silently yelling “Gardyloo”!
I want to thank any of you who are willing to humor me by participating with me in this little technology experiment. Initially I thought that I should have a topic of the week or day, but then I thought that technology does not seem to have a theme, but rather explores everything and nothing. So, this blog will be about everything and nothing, the random thoughts of my day, or more accurately the gardyloo moments.
Life Adventure Quiz #1
You are desperate for a Starbucks coffee, and you spot the one lone parking spot in the poorly planned extra small parking lot in downtown Houston. Being the well-mannered considerate soul that you are, you patiently wait with your blinker on to grab the covenanted parking space, your Momma did raise you well!….but NO, an inconsiderate Jetta swoops in and steals your spot! What do you do?
A. You yell Gardyloo (silently to yourself of course, people might think you had issues if you yelled “Gardyloo “out the window of your car) while circling the parking lot looking for another spot. Being the gracious individual you know you are (or hope to become), you realize that this person probably needed the coffee more than you, and are happy the Jetta girl got the space!
B. You lay on the horn, blocking the offending car as you wait for the driver to get out, so you can confront them. As you bask in your sense of indignation, you have created a minor traffic jam and almost caused a fender bender. The bystander’s fingers are crossed hoping that they do not get caught in the crossfire!
C. You cry.
I would love to report that this is a fictitious scenario, but no it actually happened today. I must acknowledge that the parking lot on Montrose Blvd in Houston was a tad small, but really?…to lay on your horn for five plus minutes?….just saying…I wish I could report how the story ended, but…the Texas Junk Company closed at 6pm and the need to look for authentic Texas cowboy boots won out…..
What I would love to know is if this has happened to you, how you would have handled this situation.
I want to thank you all for helping me with my blog project! Also, feel free to post your own life adventures!
Warmest Regards,
Tracy
Hi Tracy!
ReplyDeleteI am the first one to leave a comment on your first posting! Since I write a daily blog, I know how valuable it is to the spirit to have readers, and even better, commenters!
How would I react? Bet you already know, but I would either look around for another space which might involve some walking, or use the drive-thru if there is one, saving steps and stress. It is the coffee that makes people misbehave, in my opinion.
After visiting the Mediterranean and near Mideast, I determined that if everyone just switched to decaf, that very tense part of the world could settle down some and have a civilized conversation! Not being a coffee drinker, I cannot empathize, but I know the desperation that wells from not having my Diet Coke!
Soapbox time: I believe that the automobile allows us or encourages us to misbehave. If we were physically in line at the coffee shop, we would never (I hope!) push someone out of the way or take another's spot.
Before Justin was learning to drive, I would use the parent pick-up/drop off line to teach him lessons about driving and people. I taught him not to act like he is more important than others by squeezing in or making others wait. It was better to step back (or keep back) to allow another car to merge in from the side, as we all have the common goal---taking our kids to school or picking them up. It is really so simple! Or should be!
Gardyloo!!!!
Kim
Thank you Tracy, for the new word of the day! As a non-native English speaker, I love picking up new words here and there, especially when they're as useful as Gardyloo!
ReplyDeleteAs to the parking lot delimna, I can't help but think of the scene in "Fried Green Tomatoes" and how I wish I had the nerve to just go ahead and slam into those little Jetta's that pop into the space ahead of you. In practice, however, I find that it's usually the soccer moms in the huge SUV's that have a tendency to push me out of the way (in my little car) and snag the spot. It's almost as if the size of the vehicle boosts that inner aggression and makes a bully out of the otherwise meek supermoms. Once I get over the intimidation factor, and realize that my bumper is actually still in tact, I carefully roll on to the next available spot... thankful that I escaped without injury.
This does bring to mind another parking lot delimna, where the person driving those enormous vehicles seem to have a lot of trouble parking them, especially within the actual boundaries of the parking spot as defined by the lines on the asphalt. When they pull up next to my little two door car, leaving only inches, it makes it impossible for me to either leave or re-enter my car! Even a serious diet and more exercise wouldn't allow me to safely contort my body in such a way that I could actually squeeze through the few inches they've alotted me. While I have thought up various revenge plots, I have never acted out any of them.
Best of luck in dealing gracefully with the parking lot drama in the future!
Esther
I love the word...Gardyloo!!! I plan to use it at the first opportunity. The dreaded parking lot dilemma is certainly a good example of how or how not to hold your cool. While it may seem rather wimpy of me I firmly believe in the kill them with kindness or in my case a solid smile. My belief in the clique "what goes around comes around" also applies in my book...I smile because I know they will get it in the end, maybe not this minute, but ah ha, it will catch them.
ReplyDeleteRefraining from being pushed into the negative mode or climbing on the grumpy horse is a good thing. Stupid events like the parking place fiasco or people driving too slow are really just little things that we should let go (but often have trouble doing so) and by letting go our day will really go much better. I choose to "not sweat the small stuff" now let's see how well I practice what I preach tomorrow!
Happy days to all,
Nancy
Tracy!! First of all, it was great to see you in Houston and I will be happy to follow your blog!
ReplyDeleteMy reaction would have been to look for another parking spot, but I am sure the word coming from my mouth would not have been as fun as Gardyloo! Depending on the tone of my day, I may have secretly wished that the first sip of coffee taken by the Jetta driver would be a little too hot for comfort. With the philosophy that what goes around comes around, I think I will be more careful with my secret wishes!
Look forward to more postings!
Carol
Hey Tracy! Hopefully this will be my first blog! Technology has left me in the dirt but I am thrilled to learn with you! I also love the word Gardyloo! I have to admit that I have so much conflict at work, I ignore rude people. They will irritate one too many and get theirs! Hugs to you, Holly
ReplyDelete