Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I was gardylooed!

Well, I am sad to admit that gardyloo let me down! I thought it was a word for all occasions and maybe it is…in a different form. I think that I was gardylooed on Monday, yes that is right, I was gardylooed!

I must admit that perhaps I am somewhat responsible for the sad state of affairs that is my dental health. Despite my very adamant protests, the very efficient receptionist insisted that it HAD been four years since my last visit. I was positive that could not be true, but alas apparently it was indeed true. So four fillings later, I thought all was right with the world. But no... I convinced myself that my throbbing mouth was because my (cannot say enough nice things about) dentist must have messed up! But no… did y’all know that old fillings fail? Who knew? Apparently, everyone but me! So, after a morning meeting where one of my buds whispered, ”say it ain’t so… root canal” I reluctantly drove off to the dentist.

Still thinking that all was good with the world, I fired up my laptop and patiently waited for my turn. I began to become concerned when the wonderful assistant said, “Oh…I hope your old root canal or filing has not failed!” I thought “ummmmm…what could she be talking about?” I was still confident that all that would be required was a little bite adjustment. Gardyloo! Just a little inconvenience, but no…she came back into the room and let me know that the dentist thought perhaps an x-ray was in order, no worries, just a routine practice. I knew I was in trouble when my long-term friend/dentist came in and looked sweetly in my eyes and said “don’t worry, but….as a precaution the very kind endodontist is ready for you next door.” I must report that he was gently petting my arm while discussing this with me. Still, I did not quite understand… I was beginning to become concerned when the staff urged me to go quickly, no check required…”they are waiting for you!” Gardyloo?!?

As I walk to the next office, I have still not realized that I was about to be gardylooed. It was the office of an endodontist. Just in case you were wondering, an endodontist is a dentist specializing in diseases of the dental pulp and nerve. What a wonderful man, this endodontist, he was great as he was laying me back in the chair, giving me reassuring pats and squeezes, while saying, “no worries, just raise your hand if this hurts…” Wait, I thought that this was just a consultation, but no….. One half of a root canal later, I realized that indeed there was more than one interpretation to my word for all occasions…gardyloo!

Life Adventure Quiz #2

You are unexpectedly gardylooed, during a visit to the dentist., or more accurately the endodontist.

a. You are in shock, and since you do have a dental dam in your mouth. you nod in agreement.

b. You think gradyloo to yourself, and since you do have a dental dam in your mouth, you nod in agreement.

c. You cry, silently of course since you do have a dental dam in your mouth.

Try as I might, I could not think of a realistic life quiz for this situation! I think it is a life lesson…dental visits are important! Old fillings need to be replaced….and, most importantly be nice to your dentist!

Hugs to you all!
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,

    It's bad enough to have others gardyloo you but to set the gears into motion to make it happen to yourself, well, that's quite another thing.

    The dentists now can make a person so comfortable during treatment that you can almost fall asleep! I hope you never get used to it, though! (I have 17 of them!!)

    Having the dentist on speed-dial,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is were you better off before or after the final dental/endontic work? As a clinician myself I often wonder if we all do not cause more problems than we correct? Was the gardyloo invited? Ah what a concept...do we sometimes think of the worse and "bring it on"?

    ReplyDelete