Well as I am continuing my quest to become a 21st centurion, it has come to my attention that I am still a technological neophyte. No really, it is still shockingly true! That is why not only have I not responded to any comments, but I have not been able to help anyone who has asked me, “How do I comment on your blog?” I was going to switch to wordpress or tumbler, but whoa! One change at a time! So, maybe next month.
I really cannot manage changing too many relationships at once. I am impressed with those of you who can juggle multiple affairs, i.e., life changes, but me… not so much. Yes, I will say it out loud, Nook is courting me. There I have said it, now what? I still love the touch and feel of Book. Am I cheating? Nook is patiently sitting quietly on my desk teasing me with the promise of a new and exciting future.
Now at about this point, you might be wondering what has me cheating with technology got to do with learning to deal with the small hassles of life? But… think about it… technology is a double edged sword, and perhaps the world’s biggest energy vampire, potentially interfering in all of our relationships. Come on admit it…how much time do you spend on Facebook, twitter, Linkedin, tumbler, wordpress, e-mail, google, Farmville, texting…
As most of you are aware, I started this blog to meet a requirement for my technology course. I keep chanting, “I love technology, I love technology!” Actually, I do think that I am learning to appreciate the value of social media and blogging as an effective communication tool. In fact, I think that Facebook will be my primary communication vehicle for my college students in the fall, because I am breaking up with Blackboard!
However, how much is too much? I love the bing.com commercials on information overload. OK… they are marketing their own version of information overload, but you get my point.
Bing Commercial 2011 - Supermarket Food Fight (Animal House)
“Combine all that with shifting corporate strategy, constant organizational change, 100 or more emails a day, web sites to check, iTunes, eBay, TiVo, blogs, wikis, RSS feeds, instant messaging, cell phone text messages – aaaaaaaaagghh! Make it stop!
No wonder 80 percent of the complaints treated by doctors are stress-related.” Bill Boyd
http://www.communitelligence.com/clps/clitem.cfm?adsid=394
I would love to know what ya’ll think about information overload…Technology is here to stay, but how do we learn to manage the stress associated with our love affair change.
Thanks again for your help and as always hugs to you all,
Tracy
I really think information overload is a very real problem that I have faced several times since I took my new job with a well-known non-profit organization. I have really had to step it up when working with these young people who can send messages from almost anywhere at almost any time and then look for a timely response! I am just slow and old when it comes to modern communication, but it has been exciting to learn all that I have!
ReplyDeleteI found I must keep more organized than ever and work hard at staying on task because of the wide variety of distractions now available in electronic media at my desk! I also have learned lots of computer techniques for moving information around and re-using, cutting, putting together information,etc.
All this being said, still, the basic and the best form of communication between people remains for me to be face to face where ideas can be exchanged using all of our natural modes of information, verbal, non-verbal, subliminal, ect. My opinion!!
My iPad has "kala suuru" inscribed on the back of it. It's Zarma for "be patient."
ReplyDeleteHi Tracy:
ReplyDeleteWhen folks 'complain' to me about the vast and varied avenues used for communication, especially 'older' folks, I ask them if they really want to go back to the old days. Really?? What did you do when the keys are locked are in the car? Look for a pay phone, and hope you have change. What about a missed flight at the airport? All that done by telephone in the old days instead of via computer for rebooking? Landing airplanes manually without computers?
When we got a new car back in 1975, my spouse and I offered to pick up my grandma for her first ride in our Ford. It was winter and she fondly reminisced about riding in a wagon with wool blankets on her legs...I asked her if this car was better than the wagon, and she quickly replied, "Oh, yes!" Lily had fallen in love with 'technology'!
I love face-to-face talking to, and even ear-to-ear listening, but when that cannot occur, I love Facebook and e-mail!
Typing away,
Kim
Thanks for all of your thought provoking comments. I do wonder how much time technology is actually saving us...perhaps a lot.
ReplyDeleteJohn, you are wise as always! And Anna, ahhhh...patience.
Kim, the story about you aunt is funny!
Hugs,
Tracy
Tracy,
ReplyDeleteI think you should get an A in your technology class. Very impressive that you are figuring all of this out!!! Keep up the good work!!! Perhaps you can now help me with my website!!!
Ce Ce