Sunday, April 10, 2011

Being Right is the Ultimate Gardyloo.

Being Right is the Ultimate Gardyloo

Being right is the booby prize of life! That’s right, I will say it again, being right is the booby prize of life! all you get to be is right. I spend a great deal of time not only discussing this concept, but pondering why many of us would rather be right and alone with our righteousness, than to create or maintain relationships.

I own two…please no comments…4 pound poodles, Princess Sophia and Naughty Nino. I really cannot profess to be an expert in dog talk, but, Nino barks back! Always! Nino wants to be the boss more than anything in his little life. His need to be the boss surpasses his need to be loved on, to be held, to get treats…seriously, he just wants to be the boss of… well anything. I think his new name should be “last bark Nino”. Even when he knows that he has been naughty, i.e., wrong, he would rather be punished than to walk away.

I must admit that I really do not care if I am right, really…to be honest, upon reflection, I must admit sometimes my choices could have been better. For those of you who do not know, my Mother passed away a little over two years ago. Many of my philosophies changed during the course of her illness and after her death. As I get older, at the end of the day I really do not think that much matters beyond relationships. For lack of a better description, after my Mother died, I inherited my 90 year old Grandmother. What an adventure! The biggest life lesson that I think that I have learned over the course of the last two years is that being right does not matter. MamMa will be moving in with us soon and she wants to bring her own furniture… really it is my Mother’s furniture. It is her last physical link to my Mother, as well as her last bit of independence and control. In order for her to bring this furniture, I have to either store or sell my furniture. I was really struggling with this when my husband said, “We are not married to any of our furniture, sell it, store it, or donate it.” What a relief! I do find I love being able to say this when people say to me, but “she is moving in with you!” Perhaps she should use our furniture, but really…what is right?

My life question to ya’ll is what issue is worth arguing over? Or, have you ever decided that being right was more important than a relationship? If so, why was the need to argue (be right) more important than the relationship?

Thanks again for your support and help with my technology project!

Warmest regards,
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. I am Johnny-on-the-spot with my comments: more than one, of course!

    It is our nature as well to want the last bark, and the bark is preferable to the bite!

    Jeff is correct about not being 'married' to the furniture, and either way, stuff is going to have to be moved----again! If it makes MamMa's last days more satisfying, well, then, it is worth it!

    However, that furniture is not MamMa's last physical reminder of your mom, YOU are! It is not about stuff, but it is the stuff that helps us to remember...

    Good night!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my Father moved in with me, he had to bring his things...I got rid of a lot of our things. Good Friday it will be ten years that he has ben gone....you know, I don't even remember exactly what things I got rid of...but I do remember how happy my Dad was with HIS things in his new home.

    ReplyDelete